Wednesday, June 24, 2009

About Pen Pals For Recovery and Laura

Hey, I'm Laura, the founder (and a Letter Writer) of Pen Pals For Recovery.
I'm 17 years old. Since I was 11, I have struggled with self-injury. Since I was 13 or 14, I have struggled with an eating disorder.
On June 28th, 2007, I was sent to a treatment center in Utah. I had just turned 15 two weeks before. I was in Utah for almost exactly 14 months; I left on August 27th, 2008. I know how difficult it is to try and recover from an addiction all alone. I never had anyone to write me letters of encouragement. Sure, I got cards from my mom, and they always made my day. While treatment didn't truly help me as much as it could have because I was not willing to change at that point, I have since stopped cutting and am receiving help with my eating disorder.
The reason I have decided to start Pen Pals For Recovery is mainly because so many people have helped me through my struggles, and I feel like I am at a point in my recovery that I can help others. I know how great it feels to get mail, and how nice it is to know that someone actually cares.
The point of Pen Pals For Recovery is to help encourage people to commit themselves fully to their treatment. And hey, once you're at a point in your recovery that you feel up to it, you can apply to be a Letter Writer if you want to help others in the way that you were helped!
Anyways, I need to write more stuff, so I will update this if I think of anything else

2 comments:

  1. Cool idea. However, I REALLY recommend you just focus on your own health for the moment. I started my own very similar project a couple years ago, and I was overwhelmed by the response I received. Just a thought, though I know you probably won't take my advice.

    If you're interested, check out my site: http://lforll.blogspot.com/2008/04/who-am-i.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great!!! Good for you :) Peer support is so valuable!

    ReplyDelete